BGC East Scarborough (Formally Boys and Girls Club)
BGC East Scarborough is actively recruiting for Part time/ On Call Tutors. Our after-school educational programs is seeking talented, experienced Tutors in English, Math, French and the Sciences for students between Grades 3 and 12. We help struggling students reach their full potential by supplementing the instruction they receive in class and guiding them toward study practices and aides that can help them excel.
Tutors work with small organize group of students who are studying the same material and will occasionally work one-on-one with students that need the extra support. Our team offers compassionate, motivating assistance to students, and we expect our tutors to do the same.
Reporting to the Manager of Youth Programs and Community Outreach.
Hiring Organization: BGC East Scarborough (Formally Boys and Girls Club)
Post Name: Academic Program Tutors
Qualification: Bachelor’s Degree (preferred)
Salary: CAD 15 – CAD 17 Per Year
- Meet students at the club/ online and go over their homework assignments in the applicable subject area.
- Ask students about specific topics or subject areas that are giving them trouble or that warrant further exploration.
- Review recent homework assignment and test scores, and work through problems or questions that the student did not answer correctly.
- Employ proven study aides to prepare for upcoming tests and quizzes.
- Take notes during tutoring sessions so you can follow up with the student later.
- Communicate with parents/guardians and Program Coordinator about trouble areas or any other issue that requires attention.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- University/College students, graduates or postgraduates, Certified or retired teachers, student teachers, educational assistants etc.
- 1+ years’ experience tutoring children and youth
- Excellent communication skills
- Established proficiency in subject matter
- Experience working with underserved youth.
- Demonstrated experience working with youth from various cultural, ethnic, social-economic and developmental backgrounds.
- Strong interpersonal skills with excellent written, and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Possess a Standard First Aid and CPR+AED, clear Police Reference Check & Vulnerable
- Sector Check (or willing to obtain).
- High Five Certification or willing to obtain certification prior to employment.
- Individuals who are enthusiastic, energetic with creative program planning skills.
- Ability to formulate new and fresh ideas to not only educate but revolutionize our tutoring program
- Genuine interest in working with youth between the ages of 6 – 18 years and a clear understanding of the characteristics of children/youth.
- Strong leadership skills, programming skills, time management, and youth management skills.
- Legally eligible to work in Canada.
Job Code: TUTOR2022
Contract period: 3 months
Hours of work Up to 8 hours per week
Thank you for your interest. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted; The BGC East Scarborough is committed to the principles of employment equity and encourages applicants from all Human Rights protected groups. We strive to meet the accommodation needs of persons with disabilities. Applicants are encouraged to make their needs for accommodation known in advance during the application process.
Job Types: Part-time, Fixed term contract
Contract length: 3 months
Part-time hours: 8 per week
- Casual dress
- On-site parking
- Day shift
To apply for this job please visit www.glassdoor.ca.