Canada Post - Postes Canada
The System Administrator is responsible for supporting and ensuring the high availability of national mail processing equipment infrastructure. This entails the tight management and configuration of numerous servers, workstations, security appliances and network equipment.
Responsibilities also include supporting and advising various internal teams with: system, network and security requirements, sorting equipment design reviews, and implementation/integration and testing activities.
These responsibilities are underpinned by the continuous development and commitment to our precise standards, practices, requirements and procedures.
Below are the main job requirements and responsibilities for the System Administrator:
1. Investigates and analyzes the feasibility of system requirements for national mail processing systems.
2. Prepares technical documentation including control systems and process designs to develop system, network and security specifications within the Mail Processing Equipment (MPE) network and security architecture and framework.
3. Provides system expertise and guidance to internal customers. Applies conceptual thinking to complex problems and implements practical solutions to help achieve departmental objectives.
4. Implements and maintains plant server infrastructure; this includes: hardware configurations, operating systems, network infrastructure such as security appliance hardware, network switches, routers and virtualization infrastructure.
5. Performs proactive system monitoring, integrity checks and ensures continuous availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes.
6. Assists with MPE infrastructure administration tasks, with system troubleshooting, configuration, standards compliance in a mixed Windows / Linux environment; Backup/Restore solutions and equipment Disaster Recovery Plans.
7. Maintains and contributes to various control documents such as MPE network security practice, computer room standards, and other standards, procedures and guidelines.
8. Monitors and removes viruses, spyware and other non-authorized software or access attempts; as well, assists with intrusion prevention system and anti-virus client and server configuration and maintenance; identifies, evaluates and applies patches and upgrades on a regular basis.
9. Reviews project team or contractor change proposals. Participates in software acceptance testing and factory acceptance testing for Mail Processing Equipment and Systems.
10. Works with other functional teams (i.e. HO Engineering Design Authorities, Engineering Field Services, Process Engineering, Operations) to resolve system and operational issues and to implement system improvements.
11. Performs technical reviews and evaluations of vendor solutions to ensure feasibility and fit with Canada Post standards and practices.
- A University or college degree/diploma in a related field.
- Designation and or certifications programs may be required for certain positions.
- 2-5 years of related work experience is required.
- Experience in an enterprise setting
Other Candidate Requirements
- Good understanding of Information Technology vs Operational Technology managing a variety of network attached appliances
- Good experience working with Linux and Windows servers, use of best practices for system-level security, configuration management, and performance monitoring
- Applied expertise in automation tools for improved productivity and greater efficiencies
- Network solutions administration certification (ACSA, CCNA, or equivalent) – Preferred
- Network or Cloud Security solutions certification (CISSP, CCSP or equivalent) – Preferred
- Infrastructure virtualization certification (NCP, VCP or equivalent) – Preferred
- Cloud fundamentals certification – Preferred
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills
- Excellent time management and analytical skills
- Proven troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Abilities in deploying, administrating and supporting complex network environments
- Abilities in deploying and maintaining security appliances for high-availability and isolated network infrastructure
- Self–starter with ability to work as part of a team
To apply for this job please visit ca.indeed.com.