Toronto Star Newspapers Ltd.
Full Job Description
Our Commitment To Diversity
We strive to be a leader in building and cultivating an employee community framed around fairness, support and opportunity. We believe that what makes us different, makes a difference. And as a team, the diversity of our backgrounds, interests and experiences is what enriches our work, and our workplaces. We welcome all, and we strive for an inclusive culture that allows individual growth and shared success.
This job is fast-paced, high-energy and – if you’re wired this way – really fun. Successful candidates will use digital listening tools and collaborate with editors to understand what the audience is hungry for while staying firmly connected to the Star’s principles and core of enterprise journalism.
The ideal candidate understands that a story can take on dozens of shapes and rely on any imaginable element including writing, photography, graphics, video clips, audio, social embeds and in-depth interactives. You will use those building blocks to create explainers, rankings, quick hits, lists, cheat sheets, a story told in five graphics/pictures, matchers and videos for every platform the Internet can come up with.
Writing touch is also critical for this position. At times you will be called on to pull together reporting from across the newsroom and other disparate sources to weave a narrative that keeps the reader hooked to the end, and still wanting more. Other times you will helm a breaking news “rolling file” where story craft takes a backseat to live updates that must be delivered with speed, crystal clarity and 100% accuracy
- At least 2-5-years of experience with a major market news outlet
- Excellent news judgment, advanced writing skills and storytelling ability
- Energy and creativity, with a passion for digital storytelling and audiences
- Experience with digital production, analytics and social media
- Familiarity with video storytelling and comfortable being on camera when the story requires it.
- A deep understanding of the issues most important to residents of the Toronto area, Southern Ontario and Canada
- A self-starter able to generate unique and compelling story ideas, but also a team player who loves to collaborate and is easily assignable
- Relentlessly high standards, detail-oriented and deadline-driven
- Interviewing and newsgathering skills with instincts to draw out subjects and gather the relevant information to bring a story to life
- Well versed in CP style
This is a notice of vacancy under Article 8 of collective agreement between Toronto Star Newspapers Limited and Unifor Local 87M. The hours of work for this position will vary according to the assignment, but will all conform to a standard 35-hour work week as described under the collective agreement. These positions will be located Toronto.
Torstar Group of Companies is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free recruitment process ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and Ontario Human Rights Code we will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the hiring manager upon scheduling the interview of your requirements.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.smartrecruiters.com.