Toronto Catholic District School Board
At the Toronto Catholic District School Board, we transform the world through witness, faith, innovation and action. Servant-leadership that is visionary, empowering and inclusive is a fundamental characteristic of our Board. We seek colleagues who demonstrate a powerful personal mission and commitment through action to these principles. We are committed to fairly and objectively recruiting and selecting leaders and staff who are excellent role models, visionary and innovative, student-focused, committed to diversity, inclusion and equity and are also collaborative in building a Catholic community.
TORONTO CATHOLIC DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD:
The TCDSB is an inclusive learning community rooted in the love of Christ. We educate students to grow in grace and knowledge and to lead lives of faith, hope and charity. At Toronto Catholic, we have a long and distinguished history of providing excellence in Catholic education for the Toronto community. Catholic Social Teachings, the Ontario Catholic School Graduate Expectations and the Board’s Pastoral Plan are foundational to our exemplary approach to teaching and learning in the 21st century.
The TCDSB is proud to be a significant part of the fabric of publicly-funded Catholic education in the province of Ontario. We serve more than 90,000 students in more than 195 Catholic schools in the city of Toronto and represent close to 475 000 catholic school supporters.
CRITERIA FOR AN INTERVIEW:
- 2-year College Diploma in Paralegal Education, Legal Assistant or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum two (2) years’ work experience in supporting a legal practice and drafting legal documents
- Experience working in labour law considered an asset
- Must be proficient in the use of all major computer software applications such as Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, Excel, etc.)
- Experience with arbitration and collective bargaining procedures
- Knowledge of Acts and Regulations related to Employment, Education, Health & Safety, and Human Rights is an asset
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks and deal with competing demands, deadlines, and interruptions
- Proven independent problem-solving skills and the ability to effectively prioritize work
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Proven organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to and under the direction of Senior Legal Counsel – Legal Services, this position will provide legal administrative support. Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Prepare documents and correspondence (e.g. Memoranda of Understanding and Agreement; Minutes of Settlement; tribunal and court forms; letters; reports; and presentations)
- Manage internal records and legal documents
- Liaise with external legal counsel and internal stakeholders
- Provide information to internal stakeholders and external parties as required (e.g. OCT, external counsel, CCAS, etc.)
- Provide administrative support to labour and employment team (e.g. scheduling meetings / hearings, collecting information, updating documents, implementing settlements, etc.)
- Maintain and organize physical and electronic files; track ongoing files and follow up with parties as required
- Participate in local bargaining including note taking
- Participate in meetings and presentations
- Ensure strict adherence to confidentiality
- Perform other duties as assigned or required and any other related administrative and office duties support to the department
Diversity and Inclusion:
Consistent with the TCDSB’s Employment Equity policy, the TCDSB is strongly committed to fostering a diverse workforce. We especially welcome applications from individuals who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, including but not limited to, those who are members of groups protected by the Human Rights Code. You are invited to voluntarily indicate if you identify as such a person. This information will be kept confidential.
Barrier-Free Recruitment and Selection:
TCDSB embraces the principles of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and as such, is committed to creating an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process.
To apply for this job please visit network.applytoeducation.com.