Assistant, Social Media
The ASPCA Communications Department is a passionate, collaborative team responsible for leveraging various communications channels to further the organization’s mission of preventing cruelty to dogs, cats, equines, and farm animals throughout the United States.
As part of the Communications Department, the Social Media Assistant will work closely with the Social Media Manager to assist with influencer/celebrity outreach and engagement strategies, conduct social media listening and community management, and assist with social media content creation in support of the ASPCA’s programs aimed at improving the lives of animals. Responsibilities will include organizing data, maintaining databases with confidential celebrity/influencer information, building relationships with influencers, brainstorming compelling angles and writing pitches, tracking outreach lists, monitoring online conversation within multiple social media platforms and engaging as directed, and assisting with social media content creation.
Social Media Monitoring and Engagement (40%)
- Monitor and engage in social media chatter on ASPCA and ASPCApro channels daily. Respond and engage with the community as needed.
- Ensure ongoing follow-up and follow-through on potential crisis communication issues
- Oversee social media listening space on multiple platforms and Sprout Social, a social media listening platform
- Monitor public-facing Facebook groups and individuals, and any requests that come through from other departments
Influencer Outreach and Engagement (30%)
- Maintain and build relationships with relevant influencers and contacts at media companies
- Maintain and regularly update the database of influencers and celebrities
- Collaborate with managers and program teams to form compelling pitch angles and outreach strategies to reach relevant influencers in support of timely campaigns and initiatives.
- Work with Senior Director of Celebrity Engagement and Social Media Manager to develop celebrity outreach lists and ensure contact information is correct
- Manage inventory of branded products and giveaways
- Brainstorm creative ideas for how social media and influencer/celebrity engagement can support the ASPCA program areas
Content Collaboration and Project Coordination (30%)
- Support social media content creation on the ASPCA and ASPCApro channels which includes brainstorming ideas, capturing photos/videos, and, when needed, posting to social platforms.
- Assist with cross-departmental projects related to influencer/celebrity engagement
- Coordinate, schedule, and facilitate photo and video shoots with influencers and online media companies
- Organize on-site social media activations at events and conferences
- Assist Social Media Manager with events related to influencer and other social media activities
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with various departments within the organization and with outside partners
- Schedule meetings, facilitate brainstorms, create agendas, take meeting notes, and develop actionable next steps to keep projects moving
- Report campaign results
Exemplify the ASPCA’s Core Values:
- Has Commitment and dedication to improving the lives of animals
- Demonstrates Ownership and feels responsible for outcomes
- Believes in Team – that we are stronger together
- Seeks to Elevate others and reimagine what is possible
- Focuses on Impact, specifically making change for animals
Starting pay for the successful applicant will depend on a variety of factors, including but not limited to education, training, experience, location, business needs, internal equity, market demands or budgeted amount for the role. The target hiring range is for new hire offers only, and staff compensation may increase beyond the maximum hiring range based on performance over time. The maximum of the hiring range is reserved for candidates with the highest qualifications and relevant experience. The expected hiring salary range for this role is set forth below and may be modified in the future.
The target hiring range for this role is $24.00/hour – $25.50/hour
If you are interested in joining our team but do not see a position listed that fits your experience or interests, please click this link and join our Talent Community to stay connected to future opportunities with the ASPCA.
Ability to effectively manage time and schedules, Ability to follow and keep abreast of animal welfare events and developments around the country, Ability to travel for conferences and events a few times a year (5% – 10% travel required), Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community, Ability to work independently and collaboratively as a member of a team, Computer, Internet, and social media savvy, Displays care and concern for the safety and well-being of self, animals and others, especially during stressful situations, Enthusiasm for animal welfare, passion for the mission of the ASPCA, Excellent organizational skills, Keen sense of entertainment news and consumer communications trends online., Must be able to conceive, draft, proofread and edit written materials, Must be able to lift and carry to up 25 lbs., including domestic animals, and work for 8+ hour days, Must be able to multitask and prioritize work in a fast-paced environment, under tight deadlines, Professional experience leveraging social media channels like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, and YouTube., Strong analytical and problem solving skills, Strong communications skills, both written and verbal, Strong knowledge and interest in social media platforms, best practices, measurement tools, as well as current digital trends
Education and Work Experience:
1+ year of professional social media experience, (internship experience is applicable), High School Diploma required, bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience.
The ASPCA strives to maintain a COVID-free workplace. To that end, being fully vaccinated is a condition of employment for all ASPCA employees, including new hires, except where prohibited by applicable state or local law. The ASPCA makes reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants with disabilities or sincerely held religious beliefs that prohibit a person from being vaccinated.
Our EEO Policy:
The ASPCA is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, gender, gender identity or expression, age, marital or domestic partner status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to a reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the ASPCA’s standard application process, which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on the ASPCA. Please inform the ASPCA’s People Team if you need an accommodation in order to complete any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.
Individuals seeking employment are considered without regards to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, gender, gender identity or expression, age, marital or domestic partner status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.
ASPCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (M/F/D/V).
The ASPCA was founded in 1866 on the belief that animals are entitled to kind and respectful treatment by humans and must be protected under the law. As a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation with more than two million supporters nationwide, the ASPCA is committed to preventing cruelty to dogs, cats, equines, and farm animals throughout the United States.
The ASPCA is headquartered in New York City, where we maintain a full-service animal hospital, spay/neuter clinic, mobile spay/neuter and primary pet care clinics, a rehabilitation center for canine victims of cruelty, kitten nursery, adoption center, and two community veterinary centers.
The ASPCA also operates programs and services that extend nationwide. We assist animals in need through on-the-ground disaster and cruelty interventions, behavioral rehabilitation, animal placement, legal and legislative advocacy, and the advancement of the sheltering and veterinary community through research, training, and resources.
At the ASPCA, we are committed to fostering a collaborative and compassionate culture and we welcome all voices to contribute to our lifesaving mission. Our staff represent a vast array of backgrounds and diversity dimensions, bringing with them valuable experiences and perspectives. They join the ASPCA to learn, grow, and continually do their best work on behalf of animals. We are inspired by our staff, partners, and the communities we support across the country who work to improve animal lives. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion at the ASPCA because it elevates our organizational culture, aligns with our Core Values, and enables us to move further and faster toward the ASPCA’s vision – that all animals live good lives; valued by society, protected by its laws, and free from cruelty, pain and suffering.
To apply for this job please visit careers.aspca.org.