Mental Health Counselor
It is an essential job requirement to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for this role. If you need an accommodation of any kind for religious or disability reasons, including related to this job requirement, please contact Human Resources.
Housing Works was founded in 1990; With a long-term commitment to AIDS advocacy. Housing Works established New York State’s first harm reduction-based, OASAS-licensed outpatient drug treatment program. Other services include Health Home care management, behavioral health, and syringe exchange programs. A pioneer in the social entrepreneurship movement, Housing Works operates 10 high-end thrift shops in Manhattan and Brooklyn and a much-loved Bookstore Cafe in Soho. For more information, visit www.housingworks.org
| Housing Works
Housing Works fights for funding and legislation to ensure that all people living with HIV/AIDS have access to quality housing, healthcare, HIV prevention, and treatment, among other lifesaving services.
We have three comprehensive healthcare plans to choose from based on your priorities and budget. Housing Works covers most of the plan; you pay a portion, based on your salary. Staff begins accruing PTO immediately for a total of up to 30 days earned in the first year. We offer employees an educational benefit. This money is available for tuition loan reimbursement, tuition costs, and text books.
Housing Works provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements. Housing Works complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. Housing Works also does not request prior salary information during the hiring process.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
This position is included in a bargaining unit of Housing Works’ New York City employees represented by a labor union known as the Retail Wholesale and Department Store Union (“RWDSU”). Accordingly, the RWDSU has the exclusive right to bargain over the terms and conditions of employment related to this position and this position may become covered by the terms of a collective bargaining agreement (a “CBA”) between Housing Works and the RWDSU
Compensation range: $60,000 – $70,00 annually commensurate with experience
Mental Health Counselor will provide mental health, substance use, supportive counseling, crisis interventions, buprenorphine treatment and case management services to clients within our Methamphetamine Harm Reduction Program. This is a unique opportunity for this licensed provider to focus on a humanistic approach to marginalized communities’ mental health needs following the harm reduction model. With the support of the MTH/HRM Program Coordinator, Case manager, Patient Navigator, and an interdisciplinary team of professionals this counselor will help improved health outcomes for our participants. The ideal candidate will be familiar with evidence-based interventions and comfortable using data to guide practice. Additionally, this position will provide supportive counselling to other staff members in the department as indicated by program management. The Mental Health Counselor reports to the MTH/HRM Programs Coordinator.
- Provides trauma informed individual therapy and group counseling to adults with Substance Use and/or dual diagnosis. Services are conducted in-person/virtual/telehealth based on the needs of the participant.
- Provides crisis intervention services and, if necessary, refers clients for psychiatric evaluations and other emergency services.
- Provides caseload with weekly/Bi-Weekly services and group counseling sessions consistent with the individualized treatment plan.
- Utilizes Psychoeducation and Evidence Based approaches in providing patient education, medication adherence to prescribe anti-depressants, to facilitate treatment change, while referring clients to mental health services as deemed appropriate.
- The Mental Health Counselor should be able to provide substance use screening such as MAST, DAST-10 or evidenced based screenings as deemed necessary.
- Provides medication adherence/medication management (MAT) and buprenorphine treatment counseling as needed.
- Participates in case conferences to advance the on-going coordination of clients’ care.
- Conducts diagnostic consultations with the Consulting Psychiatrist on difficult to manage case or case where patients are not improving.
- Generates timely, accurate and detailed progress notes, comprehensive treatment plans, intake/admission assessments, psychosocial assessments, discharge plans, and other required documents congruent with the clients’ diagnosis and consistent with the scope of the Coordinated Care Model.
- Facilitates individual and group level psychotherapeutic interventions.
- Partakes of one-hour weekly clinical supervision.
- Attends all trainings, supervisions, staff meetings and care planning sessions or as assigned by supervisor.
- Supports and participates in advocacy efforts to end the twin crises of homelessness and AIDS.
- Support the completion of M11-Q forms for participants as needed.
- Advocate on behave of program participant with governmental agencies and other community stakeholders.
- Send weekly, monthly, and quarterly reports as required.
- Participate in quality assurance and quality improvement planning project and activities as directed.
- Participates in monthly staff and peer workers development meetings and interventions
- Participate in site Case Conferences, staff meetings and other administrative functions as required.
- Develop Trainings in areas of but not limited to: Sex Positivity, Gender Identity/Inclusivity, Harm Reduction for staff, Peers, and clientele.
- Participate in advocacy aligned with company values and goals.
- Participate in weekly Clinical supervision.
- Licensed Social Worker (LMSW), Licensed Clinical Social Worker or Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC) in New York State required.
- Minimum of a master’s in human services diploma or related degree required.
- Experienced providing care navigation and counseling services preferred. At least one to three years of experience working in human services with individuals with serious mental illness and those with serious mental illness and co-occurring substance use disorders strongly preferred.
- Experience understanding various evidence-based models and theories pertaining to trauma-informed care, motivational interviewing, stage-wise approach to Harm Reduction treatment of substance use, and serious mental illness strongly preferred.
- Culturally aware and sensitive to PWUD (People Who Use Drugs), PLWHA (People Living with HIV/AIDS), LGBTQAI, YIDU (Young Intravenous Drug Users), SMI (Severe Mental Illness), and MSM (Men Who have Sex with Men).
- Preferable training in the following areas: · HIV 101 · Seeking Safety Interventions · Sexual Health Education · Viral Hepatitis 101 · Motivational Interviewing · LGBT Sensitivity · Syringe Exchange and Harm Reduction Training · HIV confidentiality and risk-reduction counseling · De-escalation
- Ability to make data entries into programs database such as AIRS, e-Share, EiCare.
- Have a strong understanding of effective navigation of New York City Social Services.
- Highly organized and self-motivated
- Experience with group facilitation strongly preferred.
- Overdose prevention training experience preferred.
- Skilled with health insurance navigation and documentation.
- Good verbal, written, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Use of computer software -Microsoft Office Suite including Word and Outlook calendaring, and Excel.
- Adheres to the ethics, morals and standards aligned with the clinician’s license.
- Bilingual in Spanish/English strongly preferred Frequently remaining in a stationary position, often standing, or sitting for prolonged periods
- Occasionally moving around to additional worksites
- Occasionally lifting and moving objects up to 25 pounds in ordinary office related tasks.
To apply for this job please visit cta.cadienttalent.com.