Senior Corporate Counsel
Microsoft’s Corporate, External, & Legal Affairs (CELA) has an immediate opening for a Senior Corporate Counsel who is a dynamic, motivated, and experienced attorney manager to lead the U.S. Financial Services Commercial Legal Team. The successful candidate will primarily support Microsoft’s U.S. Financial Services commercial business on cloud computing (Software as a Service, Infrastructure as a Service, Platform as a Service), traditional software licensing, and consulting services transactions and function as a contributing member of the global CELA group.
Ideally, this role will be based in Redmond, WA or a Microsoft hub location (i.e., Washington, DC, Atlanta, GA, New York, NY, Chicago, IL, Las Colinas, TX or Irvine, CA). Other locations will be considered on an exception basis.
Transactional and Digital Transformation Support:
- Manage a high-performing Legal Team supporting commercial business transactions and delivering front-line best-in-class legal support to the Microsoft U.S. Financial Services commercial business.
- Draft, negotiate, and advise business clients on complex cloud computing, strategic collaboration, AI and ML, IoT, software licensing, consulting services, and other deals with major financial services organizations across the United States.
- Partner with the U.S. Financial Services sales team on complex, high-value transactions to identify blocking issues, helping create deal strategy & tactics, as well as driving best-in-class negotiations throughout commercial lifecycle.
- Engage with Microsoft Legal colleagues in regional commercial, corporate commercial and products and services groups to identify and share best practices, develop model standard agreements and clauses, and contribute to the broader Microsoft CELA and Key Stakeholder community.
- Help manage external counsel on commercial deals and strategic transactions.
- Bachelor’s Juris Doctorate Degree or Equivalent International Degree OR Completion of a Legal Apprenticeship.
- Active license to practice law in a jurisdiction and capable of meeting admission requirements in relevant jurisdiction.
- 7+ years experience as a practicing attorney OR equivalent practice of law.
Additional or Preferred Qualifications
- 5+ years experience as an attorney in specialized practice area (e.g., tax, employment, copyright).
- In-house counsel experience
- 1+ years people management experience
- JD (or equivalent) and license to practice law in the US
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, work efficiently, prioritize workflow, and collaborate well to manage complex projects that cut across organizational boundaries.
- Desire and ability to work as part of a team and with diverse groups and cultures.
- Flexible and analytical thinker with strong problem-solving skills who can handle multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently, meet demanding deadlines in a fast-paced environment, and prioritize workflow with minimal supervision.
- Results orientated, customer, client, colleague, and culture obsessed, problem-solver with a growth mindset, and a people-first management focus.
- Experience in negotiating information technology agreements with, or on behalf of, financial services or large enterprise commercial entities
- Experience advising product development, sales, IT, and/or procurement on regulations applicable to financial services.
- Experience with financial regulator and industry association outreach on issues pertaining to technology and the financial services industry.
- Experience advising on privacy issues and global data protection laws, intellectual property, and IT services.
- Experience advising on cloud security issues and with regulatory or security standards and frameworks (e.g. NIST, HITRUST, SOC2, ISO).
The typical base pay range for this role across the U.S. is USD $139,400 – $242,600 per year. Microsoft has different base pay ranges for different work locations within the United States, which allows us to pay employees competitively and consistently in different geographic markets (see below).
The range above reflects the potential base pay across the U.S. for this role (except as noted below); the applicable base pay range will depend on what ultimately is determined to be the candidate’s primary work location. Individual base pay depends on various factors, in addition to primary work location, such as complexity and responsibility of role, job duties/requirements, and relevant experience and skills. Base pay ranges are reviewed and typically updated each year. Offers are made within the base pay range applicable at the time.
At Microsoft certain roles are eligible for additional rewards, including merit increases, annual bonus and stock. These awards are allocated based on individual performance. In addition, certain roles also have the opportunity to earn sales incentives based on revenue or utilization, depending on the terms of the plan and the employee’s role. Benefits/perks listed here may vary depending on the nature of employment with Microsoft and the country work location. U.S.-based employees have access to healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan and company match, short-term and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance, and wellbeing benefits, among others.
There is a different range applicable to specific work locations, within the San Francisco Bay area and New York City metropolitan area, and the base pay range for this role in those locations is USD $176,000 – $264,000 per year.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Benefits and Perks
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away
To apply for this job please visit careers.microsoft.com.