Associate General Counsel
Full Job Description
Become a Part of the NIKE, Inc. Team
NIKE, Inc. does more than outfit the world’s best athletes. It is a place to explore potential, obliterate boundaries and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow, think, dream and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers, leaders and visionaries. At NIKE, Inc. it’s about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving game.
NIKE, Inc.’s rapid pace of innovation demands a Legal team that is always on the offense. And they’re always on their game – with the mission to advance and guide Nike’s business through innovative, offense-minded counsel. Nike attorneys, paralegals and other specialists in law provide inventive approaches and superior counsel to Nike’s global business. As Nike changes the future of sport, the Nike Legal team drives competition, ingenuity and integrity in the marketplace.
What will you work onAs Associate General Counsel, Consumer Marketplace Real Estate & WD+C, you will play an integral role to support the leasing and construction of new stores and non-retail spaces; providing both legal support and advice on strategic priorities relating to Nike’s growth. This includes:
- Structuring, drafting, reviewing, negotiating and providing advice on a wide range of contracts and agreements for Nike locations, including leases, amendments, work letters, renewals, options, license agreements, estoppel certificates, SNDAs, and other related real estate documents.
- Identifying legal issues, articulating clear analysis of legal risks, creating and implementing structured solutions to efficiently meet business objectives while improving legal protections
- Providing legal advice on the construction of Nike locations, including on work letters, delivery conditions, construction delays, and landlord/tenant construction disputes.
- Providing legal advice to Nike’s lease administration team, including on issues such as co-tenancy, and landlord/tenant lease disputes.
- Collaborating cross-functionally across legal and business teams, to identify risks and help implement effective leasing standards that are consistent with Nike’s global guidance.
- Managing outside legal counsel to ensure high-value, cost-effective representation in lease negotiations.
Who will you work withYou will be part of Nike’s dedicated Consumer Marketplace Legal team and work directly with the Global and Geo Real Estate & Construction teams. You will work cross-functionally across Nike’s Brand Marketing, Communications, and Government and Public Affairs teams. You will also use outside counsel and Nike’s Global Contracting Office for additional support, allowing you to focus on issues that are most impactful to the business!
- JD degree.
- I am a member in good standing, of at least one US State Bar and willingness to meet the requirements of membership in the Oregon State Bar through in-house counsel, reciprocity, or other avenues
- 3-5 years’ law firm or in-house experience in the practice of real estate law with a significant focus on tenant leasing and landlord/tenant transactions.
- Significant experience drafting, negotiating, and solving issues for leases and various real estate-related agreements, including SNDAs.
- Extensive knowledge in the areas of real estate development and financing, land use and permitting, zoning, construction, and landlord/tenant dispute resolution. Some litigation experience is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to learn business requirements quickly, analyze legal and commercial risks, and propose creative solutions.
- Strong bias for action and critical thinking.
- Excellent collaboration skills and an ability to communicate effectively and succinctly, both verbally and in writing, with business personnel at all levels.
- Excellent organizational skills, with a proven ability to manage multiple lease transactions simultaneously.
- Strong teammate and ability to work cross-functionally in a complex organizational structure.
For employees based in NYC and Westchester County, NY, this position has an annual base salary range of $172,500 – $285,000.
NIKE, Inc. is a growth company that looks for team members to grow with it. Nike offers a generous total rewards package, casual work environment, a diverse and inclusive culture, and an electric atmosphere for professional development. No matter the location, or the role, every Nike employee shares one galvanizing mission: To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world.
NIKE, Inc. is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.nike.com.