Full Job Description
NYU Grossman School of Medicine is one of the nation’s top-ranked medical schools. For 175 years, NYU Grossman School of Medicine has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history and enrich the lives of countless people. An integral part of NYU Langone Health, the Grossman School of Medicine at its core is committed to improving the human condition through medical education, scientific research, and direct patient care. At NYU Langone Health, equity, diversity, and inclusion are fundamental values. We strive to be a place where our exceptionally talented faculty, staff, and students of all identities can thrive. We embrace diversity, inclusion, and individual skills, ideas, and knowledge. For more information, go to med.nyu.edu, and interact with us on LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Indeed, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Clinical Nutritionist.
In this role, the successful candidate works with minimal supervision reporting to Director in an outpatient setting. As part of a multidisciplinary care team, the dietitian provides nutrition education and care to the patient. The primary responsibility of the dietitian is a consulting role providing patients (individually or group classes) education including evaluation,documentation, and the development, implementation and coordination of the outpatient nutrition education program to optimize postoperative outcomes and attainment of optimal weight loss and health. In addition, as a Certified Diabetic Educator, will provide diabetes self-management education and training to individuals and groups in outpatient setting according to the scope of practice, standards of practice and professional performance for Diabetes Educators.
- Develops and updates nutrition education manual for outpatient setting; Develops and implements medically supervised physician monitored weight management program as needed according to health plan requirements
- Plans, evaluates, and provides individual patient consultations andgroup education program including nutrition consultation with family members, staff and physicians
- Documents consultations/education and provides follow updataes to referring physicians
- Attends and participates in community lectures as well as support groups
- Participates and provides education programs for marketing, community benefit and NYU staff education programs
- Attends multidisciplinary patient care rounds and pertinent clinical meetings as required
- Prescribes food and other nutrients including nutritional support per protocol or under the direction of the MD
- Insures that patient’s needs for special dietsa nd altered meal schedules are met.Identifies patient diet knowledge deficits
- Works with program director and coordinator on instituting provisional status as a Center of Excellence under the ASMBS guidelines
- Assists program director in program development and marketing
- Manages and requests appropriate educational resources as required education program
- Assists in tracking for database outcomes and patient flow
- Is involved in nutrition care planning across the Continuum of Care, including in servicing inpatient dietary staff, providing preoperative and postoperative classes and follow up care one year postoperatively for patients (outcome focused)
- Implements performance improvement strategies as identified through review of program outcomes
To qualify you must have a Bachelor Degree in Nutrition, or equivalent education in Nutrition that meets the CDRs education requirement for certification. Licensure/Certification:Current Registered Dietitian Certification from the CDR. Computer Skills:Basic computer skills including Microsoft Word, Windows, Excel and an email system. Other:Flexible and adaptable of schedule to facilitate classes, as needed. Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:Must have current knowledge of nutrition therapy and skills in educating small and large groups. Be able to work effectively under pressure by prioritizing work activities or re-negotiating deadlines. Be able to give constructive feedback when teaching patients and staff.Maintain a positive attitude with changing conditions. Appropriate interventions and follow up is performed on identified projects. Demonstrates organizational abilities. Demonstrates dependability. Requires strong written and verbal communication skills to communicate effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization. Must be able to work under general supervision. Must have a professional and mature demeanor. Must be able to work in a fast-paced department and handle multiple tasks, work with interruptions,and deal effectively with confidential information
Master of Science in Nutrition, public health or health care field preferred. Certification by the National Certification board of Diabetes Educators preferred or accumulate hours to fill the prerequisites to achieve the certification.Proficiency with the internet, PowerPoint, Access, and GroupWise experience a plus. Membership in the American Society of Bariatric Surgery preferred. Experience:One-two years of experience as a registered dietitian
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Grossman School of Medicine provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you’ll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Grossman School of Medicine is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.