Full Job Description
The Subject Educator I (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Nutrition Education and Obesity Prevention, or SNAP-Ed Nutritionist) is primarily responsible for the delivery and implementation of established public education programming to improve healthy food and lifestyle choices among SNAP-eligible families and individuals encompassing all age groups throughout the SNAP-Ed New York Southern Finger Lakes Region, with a specific focus on Chemung County and the City of Elmira. As part of the federally grant funded SNAP-Ed New York program, this position works closely with other members of the Sothern Finger Lakes regional team to meet the program goals, including assisting the Senior Nutritionist and the Project Director with program implementation, evaluation, management, and marketing. Specific focus on implementing nutrition education and reaching target population through various forms of programming, including, but not limited to: in-person workshops, digital education in the form of virtual lessons, and other electronic methods, as assigned.
This position is a full-time non-exempt position, 100% FTE. This position, based on eligibility, offers a comprehensive benefit package, to include: health and dental insurance, NYS retirement, vacation, sick and personal leave.
- Bachelor of Arts or Science degree in Nutrition, Public Health or Health Education, appropriate to the responsibilities of the position and a minimum of one (1) year related work or volunteer experience in related professional work.
- Ability to present effective and relevant educational lessons to target audiences in group settings, and work with diverse audiences of all ages.
- Must be ale to purchase and prepare foods for programming, utilizing business expense account and pragmatic use of resources.
- Must be able to review and follow recipes and assure compliance to federal and state guidelines.
- Ability to transport materials to multiple program sites throughout Chemung County.
- Ability to work independently and to effectively participate in professional team efforts.
- Basic computer and word processing skills.
- Ability to read and write in English.
- Must be ale to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to meet travel requirements associated with this position.
- Ability to work flexible hours which may include evenings and/or weekends, as appropriate.
- Ability to plan, organize, implement, and deliver informal and formal educational programs.
- Knowledge of family budgeting and financial management and demonstrate a willingness to learn.
- Experience working with the target audience (limited resource).
- Ability to relate to diverse audiences.
- Ability to understand and communicate CCE’s mission.
- Familiarity with the community in which the work will take place and ability to utilize program resources within the community.
- Ability to plan and organize personal work responsibilities according to priorities development with team members and immediate supervisor.
- Familiarity with a variety of program delivery methods to reach individuals and groups in youth and adult audiences and ability to integrate youth and adult development principles into educational activities.
- Proficiency in the use of modern electronic technology (e.g., video, audio, computers, texting, Microsoft Office Programs, etc.).
- Demonstrate initiative to pursue continuing education.
- Ability to speak, read and write proficiently in the Spanish language.
Delivery – 75%
- Conduct creative educational programs, based on existing materials, to impact audiences through a variety of delivery methods.
- Deliver program/lessons to individual/family homes and/or groups at various locations.
- Utilize existing program materials and educational framework to implement teaching of the targeted number of adult and youth participants in the nutrition program.
- Extend subject matter resources to the staff, program participants and other groups, as they are identified.
- Implement programs that address audience needs and that consider the diversity of the community.
- Serve as subject-matter resource to staff and clientele and other groups, as they are identified.
- Under the direction and oversight of the Issue Leader, adapt already established curriculum and materials as needed to meet established program objectives.
- Promote awareness of program through effective communication in the form of impact statements, articles for progress. annual reports, news releases, radio interview, etc.
- Inform participants of other Extension programs, community agencies, and services as part of program delivery.
- Represent CCE to the public, community leaders, government officials and Cornell University in a professional manner as part of program delivery efforts.
Evaluation – 10%
- Interact with program participants, advisory committees, Cornell program specialists and faculty, and county and community leaders to obtain evaluation data for programs.
- Implement evaluation tool as designed.
- Communicate program evaluation results and findings to supervisor.
- Assist supervisor in evaluation data analysis, assist in making recommendations to strengthening and improving programs.
Direction – 5%
- Provide input to supervisor to assist in planning the delivery of established SNAP-Ed NY nutrition education programming via various methods to meet programmatic goals.
- Provide input to supervisor for planning the nutrition program budget.
- Assist in the planning and promotion of public events and programs including, but not limited to, assisting with mass media efforts related to upcoming events and programs.
Coordination/Operation – 5%
- Complete necessary written documentation as required by programs and funders.
- Submit program-related expense receipts for recording.
- Assist supervisors in program coordination activities, as assigned.
- Maintain extreme confidentiality of information regarding all program participants.
- Maintain record of class participants, complete pre-determined reports, and accurately collect and prepare paperwork as required for all parts of the program delivery and evaluation processes.
- Organize, coordinate and compile SNAP-Ed NY program activities (i.e. food demonstrations, direct lessons to adults and youth, etc.) to support delivery of established program goals.
- Assist supervisor in program coordination activities, as assigned.
Professional Improvement and Other Duties as Assigned – 5%
- In cooperation with Supervisor and/or Executive Director, jointly develop and pursue a professional development plan as a means to increase competencies relative to position accountabilities and to address changes in programming and association priorities.
- Collaborate in activities that are in general support of Cornell Cooperative Extension including but not limited to attendance at staff meetings, timely reporting of expenses, working with other staff, general marketing of Extension programs and other duties as assigned.
Health and Safety – Applied to all duties and functions.
- Support the association to maintain a safe working environment.
- Be familiar and strive to follow any applicable federal, state, local regulations, association health and safety policy/procedure/requirement and standard.
- Act proactively to prevent accidents/injuries and communicate hazards to supervisors when identified.
EEO/EPO and Policy – Applied to all duties and functions.
- Appreciate and embrace diversity in all interactions with clientele, staff, volunteers and the public.
- Assist the Cornell Cooperative Extension system in reaching out to diverse audiences.
- Be aware of, and adhere to, established Cornell Cooperative Extension Association of Chemung County policies and procedures.
- Contribute to the overall success of the organization by performing all assigned duties in a professional, timely, and accurate manner.
- Conduct all programming and activities in accordance with the Civil Rights Act, Title IX Rehabilitation, Americans with Disabilities Act, and local, state, and regional affirmative action plans.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Cornell Cooperative Extension is an employer and educator recognized for valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
To apply for this job please visit cornell.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.