SUPERVISING HOUSING GROUNDSKEEPER
manner and that all safety rules/regulations are followed.
2. Supervise the care, cleaning and maintenance of landscaped areas, walks, driveways, parking areas, playgrounds and fixtures thereon.
3. Train others in gardening techniques, grounds maintenance, and in making minor repairs on grounds and fixtures.
4. Ensure the proper maintenance of all assigned materials, tool and equipment. Prepare requisitions for material and supplies.
5. Check repair work being performed by contractors on grounds and landscaped areas and reports on completion of work.
6. Assistant Resident Building Superintendent in emergency repair work, such as digging and shoring of trenches and holes to find leaks in underground lines and piping.
7. Assist tenants in community development projects such as flower and vegetable gardens.NOTE: EMPLOYEES MUST BE PERMANENT IN THE TITLE OF HOUSING CARETAKER OR THE LABOR CLASS TITLE OF CARETAKER. EMPLOYEES MUST HAVE SERVED PERMANENTLY IN TITLE FOR ONE (1) YEAR; AND THE ONE (1) YEAR MUST BE CONTINUOUS SERVICE IN TITLE TO BE ELIGIBLE.
After receiving a conditional offer of employment from NYCHA, an applicant for employment must provide proof of having received at least one dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine within a reasonable period of time. Failure by the applicant to provide NYCHA with proof of having received at least one dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine will result in NYCHA revoking the conditional offer, unless the applicant obtains an exception through the reasonable accommodation process.
Any person who begins their employment with NYCHA after providing proof of having received only one dose in a 2-dose series of a COVID-19 vaccine, will also be required to provide NYCHA with proof of receipt of a second dose within 30 days of the first dose. Failure to do so will result in termination.
NOTE: IF THIS APPOINTMENT IS MADE ON A PROVISIONAL BASIS PURSUANT TO §65 OF THE NYS CIVIL SERVICE LAW, NO TENURE OR PERMANENCE ACCRUES TO AN INCUMBENT IN THIS POSITION BY VIRTUE OF SUCH APPOINTMENT.
NOTE: This position is open to qualified persons with a disability who are eligible for the 55-a Program. Please indicate in your cover letter that you would like to be considered for the position under the 55-a Program. For detailed information regarding the 55-a Program, click on the link below:
Please read this posting carefully to make certain you meet the minimum qualification requirements before applying to this position.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent, and three years of satisfactory full-time gardening experience, at least one year of which must have been in a supervisory capacity.
1. Must possess a Motor Vehicle Driver License valid in the State of New York; and
2. Within the first six months of the probationary period, probationers will be required to pass the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation examination for a Commercial Pesticide Applicator Certificate (Category 3A) in ornamental shade tree and turf. The license and certificate described in “1” and “2” above must be maintained for the duration of employment.
2. For NYCHA employees: Preference will be given to employees who have served a period of one year in their current title and level (if applicable).
3. NYCHA residents are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.